Thursday, March 12, 2009

Facebook and My Generation


I am a newbie on Facebook.

I am still not used to the idea of penning one's thoughts in Facebook for my friends or a blog for all Netizens to read. I guess I am not the only one in my generation who feels that way.

In an article, "Hey You, I'm Older - And Blogging Too" on Mar 11 2009 my paper on page A2, it is reported that blogs and social-networking sites are no longer the domain of young digital natives and that the biggest growth of Facebook users was among those aged 35 to 49 - an increase of 24.1 million in a year! This is from a Nielsen global study.

Facebook has replaced MySpace as the world's most popular social network with 108.3 million visitors last year. It is reported that between Dec 2007 and Dec 2008, there were twice as many people aged 50 to 64 visiting Facebook than those below 18.

On pg A7 in a related article - 'Over-35s storm Facebook', Debbie Swee from IDC is quoted as saying, "Older users tend not to log in as often, compared to younger ones. They use fewer applications, have less substantial profiles and have fewer online friends. Their life doesn't revolve as much as younger people's do around social-networking sites."

It is also mentioned that 'Keeping in touch with old friends and professional networking are the main motivations for using social-networking sites.'

This is exactly what I intend to do with my Facebook profile. It really amazes me that I managed to connect to 10 of my ex-colleagues in my previous job and all within a span of 1 day!

I agree with Facebook user and academic associate Andy Low, 39, who said, "At this point in my life, it's important to catch up with old friends who I have lost touch with.

When I created my Facebook profile, my idea was to get in touch with friends that one has lost touch with and it is proven that it works. I am glad to be able to contact any one of those ex-colleagues of mine from my previous life.

There was something else that spurred me on to do more on Facebook.

On the same day, Mar 11 2009, there was another article in The Straits Times on 'Stranded in rural China, she turns to Facebook - Robbery victim gets aid from online friends', it dawns on me that, in this new era of ours, it might be better to inform your friends in Facebook when you are in trouble in a strange place.

So with all the above, I think there are reasons for my generation to embrace this social-networking phenomena. We may not have the guts like the younger generations do in telling our friends our daily lives but I sure think it is a good way to keep in touch both with our friends and also the younger generations.



References -

my paper Mar 11 2009 issue:
URL - http://myepaper.mypaper.sg/ebook/web_php/fvbrowserjs.php?urljs=http://myepaper.mypaper.sg/ecreator/sphopf/ep110309cnd_opf_files/ep110309cnd.js&ver=Gen

The Straits Times Mar 11 2009 issue:
URL - http://www.straitstimes.com/vgn-ext-templating/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=0829403cd71ff110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD&vgnextchannel=cf70758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD

No comments:

Post a Comment